US governors urge Biden Administration to support a clean transportation shift
12 US governors have urged the Biden Administration to support the shift to clean transportation by building momentum for zero-emission vehicles, such as those powered by hydrogen, and the supporting infrastructure. Signed by governors of California, Connecticut, Hawaii, Maine, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, New Mexico, North Carolina, Oregon, Rhode Island and Washington, the letter recognises that the race to lead the zero-emission manufacturing revolution has begun. “By establishing a clear regulatory path to ensuring that all vehicles sold in the US are zero-emission, we can finally clear the air and create high-road jobs.
Moving quickly towards a zero-emission transportation future will protect the health of all communities,” the letter reads. Recognising Biden’s recent announcement, the letter shared with H2 View continues, “The proposed investments in the American Jobs Plan can be leveraged even further by a strong regulatory framework and will allow the market for American-made zero emissions vehicles (ZEVs) to flourish.” Read more: Hydrogen recognised in Biden’s American Jobs Plan
Whilst all states which have signed the letter currently have low- or zero-emission vehicle legislation or plans in place, they recognise that more needs to be done and further support is required from the government to feel the full environmental and economic benefits of such shift. Governors who signed the letter respectively requested that the Biden Administration build on the zero-emission vehicle momentum by:
- Setting standards to ensure that all new passenger cars and light-duty trucks sold are zero-emission no later than 2035 with significant milestones along the way to monitor progress.
- Setting standards for medium-duty and heavy-duty vehicles and supporting complementary policies such as purchase incentives and
- infrastructure investments, that set a path towards 100% zero-emission sales by no later than 2045 with significant milestones along the way to monitor progress.
- Expeditiously restoring strong scientifically based greenhouse gas emission standards for all vehicle model years possible to replace the unsupported standards from the previous administration. This will recover all of the emission reductions and other important benefits that were lost during the past four years.
- Reaffirming that states have authority to follow vehicle emissions standards set by California, if they choose to do so.
- Providing states with substantial funding for investment in charging and fuelling infrastructure, providing grants or other financial support for fleet turnover to ZEVs, providing underserved communities equitable access to ZEVs and charging and fuelling infrastructure, and supporting ZEV marketing.
- Enhancing the existing electric vehicle tax credits by raising or removing the limits per manufacturer and extending tax credits to sales of medium- and heavy-duty zero-emission vehicles.
- Ensuring that purchase incentives for ZEVs incorporate strategies targeting low-income buyers as well as expand incentives to used ZEVs focusing rebates at the point of sale.
- Enacting new tax credits for the manufacturing of zero-emission trucks and buses as well as ZEV charging and fuelling stations.
- Working to repeal the statutory provision (23 USC ?
111) that appears to prohibit the installation of zero-emission recharging/refuelling stations along interstate rights of way, including rest areas.
“We are excited to build back better with you and are committed to taking action to advance this crucial agenda,” the letter concludes. Hydrogen amongst Joe Biden’s clean energy plans for the US
Just days after President Biden’s integration, H2 View spoke exclusive with Morry Markowitz, President of the Fuel Cell and Hydrogen Energy Association (FCHEA), about what Biden’s plans could mean for the hydrogen industry.
US President Joe Biden on Wednesday (31st March) unveiled the American Jobs Plan, through which the US Government will invest £15bn in demonstration projects for climate research and development (R&D), including hydrogen and utility-scale energy storage. A move that will create millions of skilled jobs and rebuild the US’ infrastructure, the President’s plan will unify and mobilise the country to meet the great challenges of our time: the climate crisis.
President Biden believes that the market-based shift toward clean energy presents enormous opportunities for the development of new markets and new industries and plans to push forward with the country’s clean energy future.
Continue reading here.
- Blake Purely Packaging C4+ 324 x 230 mm Peel and Seal Metallic Padded Bubble...
RRP PRICE: £49.99SALE PRICE: £39.26YOU SAVE: £10.73 This fits your . by entering your model number. Make a difference to your mail with these […]
- Blake Premium Avant Garde C5 229 x 162 mm 130 gsm Heavyweight Extra Strong Peel...
RRP PRICE: £21.36SALE PRICE: £18.99YOU SAVE: £2.37 This fits your . by entering your model number. Make a difference to your mail with these high […]
- 5 Star Envelopes Pocket Peel and Seal Window 100gsm White C5 Ref [Pack of 500]
SALE PRICE: £15.98YOU SAVE: £0.96 About this item This fits your . by entering your model number. Suitable for all kinds of general correspondence […]
- Blake Purely Packaging C4 324 x 230 mm Matt Metallic Padded Bubble Envelopes...
SALE PRICE: £49.27YOU SAVE: £11.96 About this item This fits your . by entering your model number. Make a difference to your mail with these Matt […]