Cellist’s plea after almost losing arm in horror lorry crash
Laura Armstrong, 25, nearly had to have her right arm amputated after being knocked off her bike.
Ms Armstrong had been cycling in an unsegregated cycle lane in Temple Mills Lane, Leyton, heading west to meet friends for lunch.
The collision occurred as she rode across the junction with Leyton Road.
The driver went over her arm.
She had surgery at the Royal London Hospital to restore the blood supply to her hand after the main artery was destroyed.
Two days later she had an 11-hour operation that included a nerve graft, two surgical plates to fix a fracture and skin grafts from her thighs.
She initially spent 12 days in hospital. Ms Armstrong had a third operation three weeks ago to remove one of the plates in a bid to increase the flexibility of her arm.
“The crash happened so quickly,” she said.
“The lorry turned directly across my path and I ended up underneath. I remember picking my arm up from the road and my fingers were white and wouldn’t move. The surgeons told me they were very close to amputating my arm but they were amazing and managed to save it. As a musician, what they did for me goes beyond words.”
Ms Armstrong was three weeks into a master’s degree at the Royal College of Music at the time of the crash, in October 2019.
She had toured Scandinavia and Singapore and had performed with Sir Mark Elder, of the Hallé Orchestra.
She has had to defer her place while she has treatment.
She said: “I have little feeling in my right hand and limited movement in my arm. My greatest challenge is not knowing what the future holds.”
- ^ cellist (www.standard.co.uk)
- ^ Olympic Park (www.standard.co.uk)
- ^ Government (www.standard.co.uk)
- ^ Highway Code (www.standard.co.uk)
- ^ cyclists (www.standard.co.uk)
- ^ Londoners back on buses, trains as numbers rise faster than expected (www.standard.co.uk)
- ^ Don’t travel to London without match ticket, Scotland fans told (www.standard.co.uk)
- ^ London ULEZ expansion: Khan told drivers need help replacing vehicles (www.standard.co.uk)
- TEMINICE High-End Fitness Trackers HR, Activity Trackers Health Exercise Watch...
RRP PRICE: £23.99SALE PRICE: £16.99YOU SAVE: £7.00 About this item All-day Activity Tracking: Accurately record all-day activities like steps, […]
- Birthday Cards Multipack of 24. Each Birthday Card box includes 24 Mixed Happy...
RRP PRICE: £15.99SALE PRICE: £12.95YOU SAVE: £3.04 About this item This fits your . by entering your model number. BIRTHDAY CARDS MULTIPACK – […]
- HNNHOMEⓇ 870mm Bath Shower Screen Door Seal Strip For 4-6 mm Straight/Curved...
SALE PRICE: £11.04YOU SAVE: £1.95 870mm in length, Securely protected in unique HNNHOME designed plastic tube Rubber plastic, Flexible and Durable, […]
- Hula Hoop for Adults Skipping Rope Weighted Hoola Hoop for Exercise Jump Rope...
SALE PRICE: £15.99YOU SAVE: £3.00 1.WAVE HOOLA HOOP: Compare to the smooth design, the wave foam padded surface is more effective to stimulates […]