Investigators believe Skanska employee killed by dump truck was at fault

(C) Provided by WEAR – Mobile-Pensacola

PENSACOLA, Fla. — Nearly seven months ago, crews were still working to finish construction on 17th Avenue near the Pensacola Bay Bridge. Newly-released body camera footage shows what first responders found after a dump truck ran over a Skanksa construction worker back in April. On April 28, Pensacola Police responded to reports of someone hit by a dump truck.

When officers arrived at the scene, they knew it was bad. Workers had already covered the man up. “I think that gentleman’s dead.

I’m not sure,” a worker said in a body cam clip. The body cam footage shows an officer asking who the man was. Employees told him his name was Mark Carter.

Investigators soon realized what happened from the people who saw it firsthand. “I was backing up and I didn’t even — I didn’t even see him,” the dump truck driver said in a body cam clip. The dump truck driver says he saw Carter in his rear view mirror on one side, looked away, and didn’t see him when he looked back.

Others say they tried to warn Carter. The driver didn’t even notice. He says he stopped immediately once others told him what happened on his radio.

Officers say the beeping of the truck sounded. They say the back right corner of the truck knocked Carter down, ran him over, and crushed him. PPD’s final report says investigators don’t know why Carter walked behind the dump truck and changed directions.

The report says investigators didn’t believe Carter or the driver were under the influence — and didn’t test either of them for it. Ultimately, investigators believe Carter was at fault. The report doesn’t mention how fast the truck was going.

It also doesn’t say whether Carter was wearing a helmet, but photos too graphic to share show a cracked white helmet next to Carter’s head. Channel 3 reached out to Carter’s family. They didn’t want to talk on camera, but say they’re disappointed in the outcome.

Carter’s stepdaughter says Mark worked in construction for a large portion of his life — and knew worksite safety well. The Occupational Safety and Health Administration will release their findings into whether Skanska violated any protocol that day. If the company did, the agency would cite them and issue fines.

OSHA says they finished their findings into the incident.

The agency says Skanska had until the end of the business day Thursday to respond.

As Thursday morning, the agency told Channel 3 the company hasn’t responded.

Continue Reading
Show full articles without “Continue Reading” button for {0} hours.