In the aftermath, Hazell became the target of online trolls and has since used his social media platform to advocate for better mental health support.
He said: “My experience on SAS: Who Dares Wins was one of the toughest I have ever endured. I am sure most people would say it would be without doubt the toughest. However after losing my girlfriend Emily in 2019, SAS: Who Dares Wins takes second spot.
“It’s fair to say that I was not expecting it to be as challenging as it was for me. It brought up things in me that I have had buried deep down for a very long time. And I am so grateful for the show and the opportunity as since leaving the course, it has helped me face up to and deal with some of those issues, rather than bury them down inside me.
“It helped me make peace with the whole situation. To the fellow recruits, DS, and all of you that work on the show, from the bottom of my heart, thank you.”
Hazell said he signed up because he felt “very lost in life”.
He added: “After losing Emily back in 2019, I fear sometimes that I have given up in life without her. I needed to prove to myself that I hadn’t.
“I screamed down that cliff during the abseil task, but the fact I walked off that edge proved that I still had some fight left in me.”
Series six will see 21 men and women leave the comfort of their homes and head to Scotland for an unforgiving selection course including tasks built around abseiling, freezing water and chemical weapon attacks.
Among their ranks are a solicitor raised in a Mormon community and a former stripper now working as an aesthetician.
Former soldier Melvyn Downes, 56, has joined Foxy and Billy on the directing staff for this series, led by chief instructor Ant Middleton, who recently severed ties with the show.
Downes, who spent 24 years serving in the British Military, including 11 years in the SAS, is the first mixed race DS to feature.
He said: “I’m incredibly proud to join such an amazing series and it’s an honour to be the first mixed race DS on the series.
“I’m also incredibly thankful for this opportunity, especially at this time in my life. Age is no excuse not to go for your goals, and I’m living proof of that.”
Despite his years of experience, he admitted being wary of the cameras.
He said: “It was an exciting experience but also terrifying as I’ve spent most of my life undercover.
“Once I got over the initial shock of all the cameras, I loved being back in that environment with the fellow DSs, putting the recruits through their paces.”
Earlier this year, Channel 4 severed ties with Middleton over his “personal conduct” and said it would not be featuring him in future series.
But Middleton said it was his decision to quit the programme because it had become a “reality show”.
SAS: Who Dares Wins airs on Sundays at 9pm on Channel 4 from May 9.
A Ford transit van has been involved in a two-vehicle collision on the A303 this (Friday) afternoon.
The accident occurred when a Volkswagen Beetle overtook a lorry and swerved to avoid the van. However, the van driver had to quickly turn to avoid a collision and flipped onto its roof.”
Police said there was no injuries, but road users can expect a lot of disruption whilst they recover the vehicle.
A photo released by the police showed the Ford transit van on its roof.
The accident happened at the P20 exit Eastbound near the Buck services petrol station in Andover.
A spokesperson for Hampshire Constabulary told the Gazette: “Our officers were called out to an incident at 3.13pm this afternoon (7 May) to reports of a two-vehicle collision on the A303.
“A Volkswagen Beetle has overtaken a lorry and swerved to avoid a Ford transit van; resulting in the Ford transit taking evasive action to avoid a collision and flipped onto its roof. No injuries were reported and no arrests made.”
The traffic was initially moving very slowly, but situation has improved now.
France will “not compromise” over alleged wrong treatment of its fishermen by Jersey, a French minister has said.
The statement by External Trade Minister Franck Riester came this morning after French fishermen who were protesting off the Jersey coast yesterday went home and the UK recalled naval vessels it had sent.
The immediate tension at the port of St Helier has ceased, however underlying problems remain despite assertions by UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson that he is “pleased the situation in Jersey has been resolved”.
French fishermen say many who had expected their fishing licences for British waters around the island of Jersey to be renewed have been refused them and others who have had licences issued have seen unexpected new conditions and restrictions imposed.
Mr Riester toldSud Radio the decisions taken by the Jersey government, which is supported by the UK, are “null and void”.
He said: “We will not compromise, the law is very clear, the conventions must be respected… We are being very firm about this, but also obviously in a spirit of de-escalation [of tensions]; there’s no point in taking useless risks.”
The French government has stated that only 41 French ships were authorised to fish out of 344 applications and that there were new requirements that have not been subject to any discussions.
“The licences have been given in very insufficient numbers and with conditions that have not been explained and without consultation with the European authorities,” Mr Riester said. “It is in contradiction with what is in the Brexit cooperation deal.”
It comes as a Downing Street spokesman said the British navy remained on standby to provide any further assistance Jersey requests and Mr Johnson has said “the UK will always stand resolutely by the people of Jersey”.
As a British crown dependency, Jersey has its own government but is defended and represented internationally by the UK.
A French MEP, Marie-Pierre Védrenne, told France Bleu today (May 7) the EU could take sanctions against the UK over the issue.
“We are very worried and we are determined to give full support to our fishermen. Brexit is never ending and what we’ve noticed is that we are faced with a partner who lacks goodwill and doesn’t respect the promises they made.”
She added: “With my colleague Pierre Karleskind, who is president of the European Parliament’s fishing commission, we are mobilised to make sure that the European Commission reacts to this. What is at stake is to make the British understand that if they don’t respect their promises, we have the possibility, and political will, to impose reprisals or counter-measures, notably in economic terms.”
She did not rule out the extreme solution raised by Sea Minister Annick Girardin, of cutting off Jersey’s electricity supply, but said it would be better to start with, for example, imposing new customs duties and limiting access to EU markets.
“We have to show we are willing to go very far,” she said.
French government sources quoted by the BBC said they hoped the situation would be “swiftly resolved by the full and total implementation of the deal”, which France considered allowed continued access to UK waters for fishermen who had worked in them previously.
Jersey ministers have insisted they have respected the rules, and where licences have not been allocated it was because applications lacked sufficient paperwork proving rights.