News Desk

Category Added in a WPeMatico Campaign

Two hurt after car ‘ramps off roundabout’ and hits bin lorry

Two people were injured after a multi-vehicle smash involving a bin lorry.

The collision involved two cars as well as the rubbish truck on Amos Lane during the morning rush hour on Friday, July 2.

A picture taken at the scene shows a completely crushed silver car with a crumpled bonnet and flattened roof.

Read more: ‘Escalating’ Covid cases forces closure of Oldbury school[1]

Emergency services were called to the scene at around 9.45am. Medics treated a man and woman for injuries believed to be not serious. They were taken to hospital for further treatment.

Eyewitnesses and community members took to Facebook to express their shock following the crash.

One wrote: “Traffic lights wouldn’t have helped in this accident. I saw it happen. Very very lucky the gentleman didn’t have a passenger”

A second commenter said: “I was there, it was literally the worst thing I’ve ever witnessed.. how no one was killed is beyond me.”

Another added: “That island is deadly I am surprised there are not more accidents there the way some just pull out in rush hour. Hope everyone involved is ok.”

“I walked past this earlier,” a fourth commented, continuing: “There looks to have been no attempt to take the roundabout at all going on how the grass has been flattened. Just straight over it.

A spokesman for West Midlands Ambulance Service[2] said: “We were called to Amos Lane, at the junction of the B4484, at 9.45am to reports of a two-car road traffic collision and a bin lorry.

“Two ambulances were sent to the scene. One man was treated for injuries not believed to be serious and was taken to New Cross Hospital.

“A woman was also treated for injuries not believed to be serious and was also taken to New Cross Hospital.”

References

  1. ^ Escalating’ Covid cases forces closure of Oldbury school (www.birminghammail.co.uk)
  2. ^ West Midlands Ambulance Service (www.birminghammail.co.uk)

Haribo hit by lorry driver shortfall: ‘It could mean a return to the rationing of staple foods’

Shoppers are being warned to expect empty shelves after sweet maker Haribo became the latest household name to reveal it is struggling to get its stock to shops because of a shortage of lorry drivers[1].

A perfect storm of Covid-19 and Brexit has resulted in tens of thousands of heavy goods vehicle (HGV) driver jobs remaining unfilled. The Road Haulage Association (RHA) believes there is a shortfall of about 60,000 drivers.

About 30,000 HGV driving tests were cancelled last year because of the pandemic. Brexit is also part of the problem, according to the RHA, with many drivers unsure of their working rights in the UK.

The German-owned confectionery firm Haribo, whose brands also include Starmix and Tangfastics, said: “As is the case with many manufacturers and retailers throughout the country, we are experiencing challenges with regards to the nationwide driver shortage. We are working with partners across the food and drink industry to address and respond to this problem.”

Retailers have been complaining for months over delivery issues[2], including Tesco and Currys PC World.

David Jinks, the head of consumer research at the delivery company Parcel Hero, said: “We could soon be facing shortages as bad as those at the start of the first lockdown, which could mean a return to the rationing of staple foods.

“The reason is all too obvious. Our analysis of government figures shows thousands of EU drivers and warehouse operatives fleeing the UK to avoid Brexit regulations. This mass exodus was exacerbated by Covid-19, which brought the training of new lorry drivers to a standstill.”

In a usual year, 72,000 people train to become HGV drivers, with 40,000 passing the test. However, only 15,000 were able to complete their training last year, the RHA said.

The boss of the Federation of Wholesale Distributors added that the situation had become so bad that it wanted the Government to have Army trucks on standby to tackle the problem.

Additional reporting by PA

M4 crash: Woman cut from car ‘in life threatening condition’

A woman cut from the vehicle of a car that landed on its roof on the M4 is reported to be in a ‘life threatening condition’.

South Western Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust (SWASFT)[1] said that they treated four people.

One was discharged with minor injuries, whereas three were sent to hospital with one in a “life threatening condition”.

READ MORE: M32 queues after crash between car and a lorry – live updates[2]

A spokesperson for SWASFT[3] said: “We were called at 9.33am about an incident involving an overturned vehicle on the M4 eastbound near junction 18.

“We sent multiple resources to attend the incident including land ambulance crews, a critical care team, and hazardous area response team paramedics. We were also supported by police and fire.

“We treated four patients at the scene, and discharged one of them with minor injuries.

“We conveyed three of them to hospital by land ambulance for further care, one in a life-threatening condition.”

An appeal has been also been issued by police after the crash saw the motorway close for over seven hours.

Get today’s top stories and entertainment for free straight into your inbox[4]

The accident took place at about 9.30am this morning (Friday, July 2) on the M4 eastbound from J18 (Bath / Tormarton) to J17 A350 (Chippenham).

The motorway was only reopened at 4.55pm this afternoon.

In an earlier statement Wiltshire Police[5] reported that the car had left the carriageway and landed on its roof. They also said that four people were involved and all four injured.

Adding that one woman had had to be cut from the vehicle by the fire and rescue service, before she was taken to hospital.

Two others were treated at the scene and sent to hospital, and a third was treated and discharged with minor injuries.

In an updated statement the police[6] are calling the incident a “serious” incident

A spokesperson said: “We are appealing for witnesses following a serious road traffic collision which took place on the M4 between Junction 18 and Leigh Delamere Services.

“The incident took place at about 9.30am today (02/07) in which a vehicle left the carriageway and came to rest on its roof.

“Fire crews used cutting equipment to release a female casualty from the vehicle and she was then transferred to hospital by ambulance.

“Three other people who were in the car were also hurt, but their injuries are not thought to have been life changing or life threatening

“.Anyone who witnessed the incident or who may have relevant dash cam footage is asked to call us on 101 quoting log 85 of today (02/07).”

Furious woman claims bin lorries have damaged her car four times

A woman from Leicester[1] claims bin lorries have damaged her car four times and the company that runs them won’t pay for repairs.

Sian Parker, lives on a narrow road near Aylestone[2] and says she has no other option but to park her car on the street outside her home as there is no off-road parking available.

She says she has asked for compensation for repairs from waste management firm, Biffa but was told that ‘nothing can be done.’

Biffa is employed by Leicester City Council[3] and is responsible for collection, treatment and disposal of the city’s household waste.

Sian told LeicestershireLive[4]: “I live in a small street of terraced houses, so parking is usually just wherever you can find.

“But my car has been damaged four times now including trucks scraping it as they drive by. It’s been going on since February 2021, with the latest one being on Tuesday, June 15.”

Sian alleges that she has contacted the company multiple times and was told nothing could be done.

She added: “I contacted the firm and spoke to a manager who came out to see the damage on the day it happened.

“All he did was show me a screen shot from the lorry’s camera.

Subscribe to receive Leicestershire headlines straight to your inbox – for free

For an easy way to stay on top of Leicestershire’s biggest news, get the latest headlines delivered straight to your inbox.

Simply sign up here[5] to get our bulletins. It’s completely free.

And if you decide you no longer want the updates – no problem. Just follow the unsubscribe link.

“He then told me my insurance ‘might say no’ because the car is parked in the street and the street is narrow.”

Sian claims she called the bin company 21 times and was eventually told that they she would have to sort out her own investigation.

When ask about the incidents, General Manager for Biffa, William Fairham, said: “We were sorry to hear about the issue and are in contact with the individual concerned.

“Our vehicles all have 360 CCTV footage and incidents of this nature are always investigated.

“Health and Safety is firmly embedded within our culture and championed at all levels through our Safer Together pact which seeks to implement high health and safety standards across the business.”

References

  1. ^ Leicester (www.leicestermercury.co.uk)
  2. ^ Aylestone (www.leicestermercury.co.uk)
  3. ^ Leicester City Council (www.leicestermercury.co.uk)
  4. ^ LeicestershireLive (www.leicestermercury.co.uk)
  5. ^ Simply sign up here (www.leicestermercury.co.uk)

Heavy traffic reported across Surrey on A3 and M3

There was heavy traffic reported across Surrey due to various incidents.

One lane was closed on the A3 northbound in Guildford[1] on Friday (July 2), which caused slow traffic on approach after being reported shortly before 5pm.

Surrey Road Cops, part of Surrey Police,[2] said on Twitter: “Lane 1 closed northbound due to a broken down [vehicle] we cannot move, causing slow traffic on approach. Slow traffic everywhere else due to it being Friday.”

Traffic news service INRIX said: “One lane closed and slow traffic due to broken down car on A3 northbound before A3100 Clay Lane.”

There was also slow traffic on the M3 northbound and a lane closed on the exit slip road due to broken down lorry.

SurreyLive[3] provided updates and the latest traffic updates from across the county in the blog below.

References

  1. ^ Guildford (www.getsurrey.co.uk)
  2. ^ Surrey Police, (www.getsurrey.co.uk)
  3. ^ SurreyLive (surreylive.news)

M32 queues after crash between car and a lorry – live updates

Queues are building on the M32 southbound this afternoon after a crash between a car and a lorry.

The accident was reported at 4.34pm this afternoon (Friday, July 2) near Bristol City Centre as the motorway comes into the city, between Junction 2 B4058 Stapleton Road (Eastville) to J3 A4320 Easton Way (St Pauls).

Traffic monitoring site Inrix said: “M32 – City of Bristol – Southbound. Reports of queueing traffic due to accident, a car and a lorry involved on M32 Southbound from J2 B4058 Stapleton Road (Eastville) to J3 A4320 Easton Way (St Pauls).”

READ MORE: M4 crash: Injured woman cut out of car that landed on its roof[1]

It is not yet known the extent of the damage to the vehicles or whether anyone was injured in the crash.

Get today’s top stories and entertainment for free straight into your inbox[2]

Highways England tweeted at 4.42pm: “#M32 Southbound between J2 #Eastville and J3 #StPauls #Bristol – We’re on the way to a report of a collision causing a blockage to the road. Congestion is building. Please seek an alternate route”

Elsewhere on the M4 just before the weekend an injured woman was cut out a car that landed on its roof, causing hours of delays to motorists.

The incident brought the eastbound motorway to a standstill after the incident which happened at around 9.30am[3].

And on the M5, there was 20 miles of stop-start traffic after a five car crash. Read more here.[4]

This is a live blog and updates will appear below as they come in

Bring in the Army: Food Group’s Call to Relieve UK Lorry Driver Crisis … – Latest Tweet by Reuters | 🌎 LatestLY

(SocialLY brings you all the latest breaking news, viral trends and information from social media world, including Twitter, Instagram and Youtube. The above post is embeded directly from the user’s social media account and LatestLY Staff may not have modified or edited the content body. The views and facts appearing in the social media post do not reflect the opinions of LatestLY, also LatestLY does not assume any responsibility or liability for the same.)

References

  1. ^ https://t.co/UGHw5QQhH2 (t.co)
  2. ^ pic.twitter.com/opVRha3w9E (t.co)
  3. ^ July 2, 2021 (twitter.com)

UPDATE 1-Bring in the army: Food group’s call to relieve UK lorry driver crisis | Financial News

(Adds government spokesperson comment)

LONDON, July 2 (Reuters) – Premier Foods, one of
Britain’s biggest food companies, has called on the government
to consider using the army to distribute goods to help relieve a
severe shortage of truck drivers.

Last week industry leaders warned Britain could face gaps on
supermarket shelves this summer and an “unimaginable” collapse
of supply chains after the pandemic and Brexit led to a shortage
of more than 100,000 heavy goods vehicle (HGV) drivers.

At a meeting on Monday between officials from the Department
for Environment, Food & Rural Affairs (DEFRA) and food industry
representatives, Premier Foods’ delegate asked the government to
consider using the army to distribute supplies, given that some
military personnel hold HGV licenses.

Details of the meeting were first reported by ITV News.

“This was one of many ideas put forward in an industry
brainstorming session,” a spokesman for Premier Foods, which
owns brands including Mr Kipling, Bisto, Ambrosia and Paxo, said
on Friday.

“At Premier Foods, we have plans in place to manage the
situation within our supply chain.”

A spokesman for Britain’s Ministry of Defence said it had
not received a formal request to provide support. A government
spokesperson later said: “There are no plans to use military
personnel in this scenario.”

At the DEFRA meeting Chris Hall, head of logistics at Asda,
Britain’s third largest supermarket group after Tesco
and Sainsbury’s, said the grocer was “just about
keeping our head above water”.

He warned however that any spike in demand this summer would
“give us significant challenges and disruption”.

Industry lobby group the British Retail Consortium (BRC)
said the fall in HGV driver numbers has resulted in minor
disruption to some supply chains.

“Supermarkets are working closely with their suppliers to
ensure that consumers still have access to the same great
selection of goods,” said Andrew Opie, the BRC’s director of
food & sustainability.

“The government must rapidly increase the number of HGV
driving tests taking place while also looking for a longer-term
solution to this issue.”

The government has said most of the solutions are likely to
be commercial and from within industry.
(Reporting by James Davey
Editing by Jan Harvey)