latest

High tension in Jersey: English and French warships were used

This is a force that the French fishermen wanted to reach this Thursday, May 6th morning. 50 to 70 boats sailed quietly from 7 a.m. in front of Saint-Helier harbor. A few smoke bombs were ignited in the early hours of the morning. A few miles away, two Royal Navy ships, the HMS, were called in to “monitor the situation.” Severn and HMS A spokesman for the British Ministry of Defense said that Tamar had been used as a “strict preventive measure in agreement with the Jersey government”. These “British” maneuvers should not impress us, “said Clement Beyonc, the French secretary of state for European affairs, adding that the two French patrol boats had not been sent long distances.

“With about fifty fishermen in the area, of course, we wanted to set up these two buildings in advance,” said a spokesman for the Channel and North Sea Maritime Region, referring to the work of the Athos Maritime Patrol Officer Gendermary and Maritime Affairs Themis: ” “To confirm. Both ships “rely on French waters to ensure the safety of human lives at sea, so be prepared to intervene if it deteriorates, for example, if a man is on board, there are resources in the area that can intervene as quickly as possible,” he explained. The 32-meter-long Athos already exists, while the 52-meter Themis is expected to reach the area soon.

The French fishermen set sail for the night off the coasts of Normandy and Breton. “The success of uniting all these people is unbelievable,” says Camille Leguerrell, from Corteret (Mansi), referring to “at least 70 boats”, including about fifteen Bretons. “A cargo ship, Commodore Goodwill, wants to go out and everyone is determined to stop it from going out,” he explained. “We’re not really blocking, we’re all out of harbor,” said Ludovic Lazaro, a Cranville (Manche) fisherman. “But the Jersey Port Master doesn’t want to let the cargo ship out if there are people around. He wants everyone to get out.”

Read more – Brexit: France puts pressure on Jersey over fishing[1]

Quiet situation

According to a French military source, “the situation is generally calm.” “The guidelines for not blocking the interior of the port are currently being followed by French fishermen,” a source said. Fishermen must return to their home port early in the morning. “It’s a peaceful movement, it doesn’t have to be degenerate,” he said. Legure underscored. “Three fishing boats from Jersey came to support us,” he said. On Wednesday, Dmitry Rockoff, chairman of Normandy’s regional fisheries committee, promised it was not a question of blocking Saint – Heliore, but a “blow”. “There is no question in attacking (…) the goal of the game is to show oneself, to show that fishermen are steadfast, to support what is called,” he declared, “too much to the French minister of the sea, Anne Girard.”

On Tuesday, Annie Girardin said France was ready to take “retaliatory measures” if British authorities continued to block French fishermen from going to sea in Jersey. Prior to the National Assembly, he cited the effects of the “submarine cable transmission” from the island to France. As for Paris, the United Kingdom on Friday released a list of 41 French vessels, 344 of which have been approved for fishing in Jersey waters, but this list contains new requirements that have not been “previously consolidated, discussed or announced” as part of the Brexit agreement between London and Brussels, effective January 1. Area.

Read more – Brexit: France does not want to “impose new standards” on fishing licenses[2]

Planned meeting

A fisherman said a delegation of French fishermen was due to meet a minister from Jersey on Thursday morning on a British boat in front of the port of St. Helier. “A boat that fished in Jersey last year (…) will be able to fish this year,” Jersey’s Assistant Minister of Environment and Foreign Affairs assured Gregory Guida of France on Thursday morning. “Considering the difficulties, we need to discuss directly with the fishermen what we are prepared to do. They all have our numbers,” he added, criticizing “a great bureaucracy.” Currently, applications for fishing licenses must go through the French and British Governments and the European Commission.

On the ITV television channel Good Morning Britain, Don Thompson, president of the Jersey Fishermen’s Association, on Thursday denounced French fishermen for “wanting to fish unhindered in our waters, while our boats are subject to all kinds of conditions on how much (fish) they can catch and where they can.” He further added that the government was “very unfair” to submit to this.

Get our latest news

Every day, choose Important information that day

‘Aggressive’ BMW driver overtook lorry before slamming on brakes in front of it

A man drove his BMW car “aggressively” on a rural road, overtaking a 44-tonne HGV lorry then slamming on his brakes in front of it.

A court heard the potential for damage in any accident on the main Denbigh[1] to Ruthin road was “huge”.

Mark Morris, 35, today pleaded guilty at Llandudno Magistrates Court to driving without due care and attention in the incident on the A525 in Llandegla.

READ MORE: Picture shows aftermath of serious barn fire caused by grinder sparks[2]

Magistrates disqualified Morris from driving for six months and fined him £162.

Prosecutor Julia Galston told the court that Aled Davies had been driving his 44-tonne vehicle in the Llanrhaeadr area on August 13 last year.

She said he became aware of a blue BMW in his rear dashcam “swerving” in the road and trying to overtake him.

The prosecutor said he eventually crossed the double white lines on a bend and overtook him.

She said: “Mr Morris then slammed the brakes on” causing Mr Davies to brake.

The court heard that someone in the BMW’s front passenger seat then wound down their window and made “gestures” at the lorry driver.

Further along the road, the lorry stopped and Morris in the BMW also stopped at the Drovers Arms pub.

“The defendant ran down the road and shouted abuse (towards Mr Davies),” said the prosecutor.

The prosecution played two clips from the lorry’s front and rear dash cameras to the court showing the incident.

Ms Galston said the “potential for damage was huge”.

FREE Court newsletter and Facebook group

General view of Caernarfon Crown Court, Caernarfon Justice Centre. Photo by Ian Cooper

You can now get the latest reports from courts in North Wales delivered straight to your inbox – and it’s all for free.

We’ll send you a roundup of the latest cases from our reporters in the courts at Caernarfon[3], Llandudno[4] and Mold[5].

We’ll only send you one e-mail a week and it’s free to signup.

For more information about how to subscribe click here[6].

If you have a Facebook account, you can join our private North Wales Court Reports Facebook group[7] to read the latest court cases. 

Chris Dawson, defending, said his client, of Lynton Ridge, Llandegla, initially believed that the lorry driver was the “villain of the piece”.

He accepted that it was “inappropriate” for Morris to go over the double white lines to overtake the lorry and it had been “aggressive” driving.

However, Mr Dawson added: “Whatever the potential for an accident resulting from Mr Morris’s manoeuvres in fact there wasn’t an accident and no-one was injured.”

The solicitor said any driving ban would cause Morris, who has five dependent children, “exceptional hardship” as they live in a rural location and need to attend appointments.

Both Morris – who has three forklift truck and excavator driving licences – and his partner gave evidence to back up this claim.

But chairman of the bench Peter Campbell noted the aggressive manner of driving on a road with a “high level of traffic”.

He handed the defendant the ban adding: “We do not find that you have demonstrated exceptional hardship – rather, inconvenience.

“This is down to the fact that there is another adult (his partner) available to drive.”

He added that arrangements can be made with the NHS for patients to go to any hospital appointments.

Have your say on this story in the comments section.

References

  1. ^ Denbigh (www.dailypost.co.uk)
  2. ^ Picture shows aftermath of serious barn fire caused by grinder sparks (www.dailypost.co.uk)
  3. ^ Caernarfon (www.dailypost.co.uk)
  4. ^ Llandudno (www.dailypost.co.uk)
  5. ^ Mold (www.dailypost.co.uk)
  6. ^ click here (www.dailypost.co.uk)
  7. ^ North Wales Court Reports Facebook group (www.facebook.com)

No further action to be taken against couple seen ‘naked and having sex’ in park

Police will be taking no further action against a couple that were seen ‘naked and having sex’ in a park earlier this week.

The amorous pair were first caught[1] near the brook in Sunny Brow Park, Gorton[2], at around midday on Wednesday afternoon by horrified parents.

An image shared on social media appeared to show a man and woman completely nude and engaged in a sex act underneath a tree.

READ MORE: Man died after walking onto M60 into path of lorry, inquest hears[3]

A woman who witnessed the pair while walking her dog wrote on Facebook[4] : “Just when you think you’ve seen it all! Just walking the dog in Sunny Brow Park only to see a couple completely naked having sex! Only in Gorton!”

She later told the M.E.N: “There were a group of women there who also witnessed it, when I spoke to them they said I had missed the bit where he had her bent over!”

It is understood the incident carried on for several hours.

Sign up to the free MEN email newsletter

Get the latest updates from across Greater Manchester direct to your inbox with the free MEN newsletter

You can sign up very simply by following the instructions here[5]

At around 2pm, witnesses claimed they saw the couple continuing to have sex in an even more public area of the park near the children’s playground.

It was at this point Greater Manchester Police[6] were called.

The couple, believed to be aged in their 30s, were arrested on suspicion of outraging public decency.

A spokesperson for GMP said ‘the complainant in the case didn’t want to make a statement so there will be no further action’.

References

  1. ^ amorous pair were first caught (www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk)
  2. ^ Gorton (www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk)
  3. ^ Man died after walking onto M60 into path of lorry, inquest hears (www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk)
  4. ^ Facebook (www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk)
  5. ^ here (www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk)
  6. ^ Greater Manchester Police (www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk)

Manston lorry park to shut for good

The makeshift lorry park at Manston[1] which opened last winter is to shut for good at the end of this month.

The government has confirmed it will not extend its use of the airport beyond June 30, when the current lease expires.

Lorries at Manston in December. Picture: UKNIP

Lorries at Manston in December. Picture: UKNIP

Lorries at Manston in December. Picture: UKNIP

It was acquired as a contingency to provide a holding area when freight traffic was delayed during the transition period out of the European Union.

The sprawling site was used a Covid test site for thousands of lorry drivers over the Christmas period, with much disruption being caused over the festive season.

But for the past months, the sprawling site has rarely been used.

In March, it was decided lorries bound for the Channel ports would no longer be directed to Manston[2] for customs checks or Covid tests.

And now, analysis of predicted tourist traffic levels during the summer and potential knock-on impact on freight traffic shows Manston’s use is not required.

The site was originally set up to swab lorry drivers just before Christmas after the French authorities insisted no one could enter France without a negative test result.

It left thousands of hauliers stuck at Manston over Christmas, with the backlog only cleared when hundreds of soldiers were drafted in to help with testing.

Earlier this year shocking revelations of drug-taking, illicit sex and fake Covid results emerged[3] involving employees brought in to manage the testing operation.

Read more: All the latest news from Thanet[4]

LIVE: Traffic stopped on M60 with major traffic delays after multi-vehicle crash

A section of the M60[1] has been closed following a collision involving multiple vehicles.

Traffic has been stopped on the M60 clockwise between junction 16 and 17 towards Swinton and Whitefield following the collision, traffic services say.

Traffic officers and recovery crews are on their way to the area.

A spokesperson for Greater Manchester Police confirmed the collision had involved three vehicles, with one of them being a lorry.

The collision has led to a series of long delays, with traffic currently reportedly backed up to Junction 10 to Urmston[2].

Transport for Greater Manchester has advised that people use alternative routes in order to avoid the congestion.

Follow our live blog below for the latest updates on this breaking news story.

References

  1. ^ M60 (www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk)
  2. ^ Urmston (www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk)

Man, 80, with Alzheimer’s at centre of urgent police search

*Update: Police have since confirmed Mr Sergeant has now been found safe and well.

The public are being urged to join an urgent search for a missing 80-year-old man who police say can “become confused” due to Alzheimer′s.

Alan Sergeant has vanished from his home in Warrington.

Police say he been seen since he left his home in Poplars and Hulme on foot shortly after 7.30am this morning.

READ MORE:M62 lorry driver saved man from falling after parking his lorry under bridge[1]

A spokesperson said the pensioner “has Alzheimer′s and can become confused”.

The Alzheimer’s Association[2] describe Alzheimer’s as “a type of dementia that affects memory, thinking and behavior. Symptoms eventually grow severe enough to interfere with daily tasks”.

Receive newsletters with the latest news, sport and what’s on updates from the Liverpool ECHO by signing up here[3]

Police have enlisted the public as they are “keen to locate him as soon as possible”.

Inspector Helen Cooper said: “A number of officers are currently out searching for Alan, so far to no avail, and we are concerned for his welfare.

“He has Alzheimer′s and often becomes confused, so we are keen to locate him as soon as possible.

““I urge anyone in or around Warrington who thinks that they may have seen Alan since he went missing to get in touch with us.

“The same goes for anyone with information regarding his whereabouts, or CCTV or dashcam footage of him since he left home on foot this morning.”

Alan is described as around 5’ 2” tall, of slim build and has short black/grey hair.

He was last seen wearing black pants, a black jacket and blue trainers.

He also has a tag on his eye and may also have a carrier bag.

Anyone with information or footage that may help officers find James is asked to call Cheshire Constabulary immediately on 101, quoting IML 1016125.